- 1.5 kg lamb ribs with the cap removed
- ½ bunch coriander stalks and roots, rinsed well and coarsely chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- 125 ml (½ cup) sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 4 star anise, broken
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
Marinating time: 2 hours or overnight if possible.
For the marinade, place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine well then have a taste. You’re looking for the sweet, to be cut by the fish sauce, the perfume of the orange and then pops of all through other ingredients. Adjust to taste if necessary.
Add the lamb ribs and smother them in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight if possible.
Preheat the oven to 150˚C.
Place the lamb ribs in a large roasting pan and roast, uncovered for 2½ -3 hours or until the meat falls off the bone.